We are proud of all of the early childhood and school-age care educators in Delaware, for opening their doors to young children and providing early learning and nurturing to our youngest citizens. We enjoy celebrating the achievements and success of our shining stars. Send us pictures and a brief description of your program, why you chose early childhood as a profession, what you love about early learning and caring for children, how you connect with families and your community, and we will “Spotlight” you! Please send to email@example.com.
Program Spotlight: North Smyrna Preschool Program
When you walk into a classroom in the North Smyrna Preschool Program in the Smyrna School District, you’ll notice that children are quietly playing together while teachers are using their play to teach shapes and numbers. What doesn’t strike you is that fifty percent of the classroom includes children with special needs.
This Star 5 program is a Part B/619 program that serves both children with special needs and typically developing peers in inclusive classrooms and was one of the first school-based programs to apply to Delaware Stars close to six years ago.
In the beginning of this partnership, some staff were concerned whether Stars tools, particularly ECERS-R, would work in inclusive classrooms. “At first, we were afraid of Stars, but our TA kept working with us to adapt and the results have been extremely positive,” says Carissa Stevens, the program coordinator.
Jessica Allabaugh, the three-year-old teacher agrees. “It seemed overwhelming but using Stars tools makes sense and has given our teachers more options.”
Through the dedication and vision of Carissa and her staff, along with support from their TA, the program has made a daily practice of using Stars tools and strategies. This tireless commitment has included staff trainings, small group discussions, individual classroom observations with feedback, and hours spent working after school and during plan/lunch times.
Now, the activities in the classroom are more child-directed versus teacher-led. “Children are taking the lead and we are incorporating teaching,” adds Tiyana Mullin, a four-year-old teacher.
Everyone is benefiting in these classrooms. The students are learning from each other, serving as role models, and learning compassion. Teachers are thinking outside of the box and trying new strategies with support from their Stars TA. Families are building community to support each other.
“Stars has given opportunities to everybody,” says Carissa. “The inclusion program has helped us focus on developmental progress for all our children.”
If you are thinking about joining Delaware Stars or would like to talk to someone about joining, please contact us at 302-831-3239 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Click below for additional Stars Program Spotlights:
- Back 2 Basics Daycare and Preschool, NCC, Newark
- Guardian Angel Child Care, NCC, Wilmington
- Mi Casita Daycare, NCC, Claymont
- Primeros Pasos Early Learning Center, Sussex, Georgetown
- Mobina Mallick, Family Child Care, NCC, Bear
- Raising Hope Child Care Center, NCC, Newark
- Tadpole Academy Daycare, NCC, Wilmington
- Lynne Portlock, Family Child Care, NCC, Newark
- Delaware Providers Share Ideas on Social Media!
- Children’s Laughter Early Learning Academy, NCC, Wilmington
- The Salvation Army, NCC, Wilmington
- Caring Hands, Large Family Child Care, NCC, Wilmington
- Kool Kids Learning Center, NCC, Wilmington
- Helping Hands Family Childcare, NCC, New Castle
- Happy Place Day Care – Newcastle, Newark
- Phyllis Felton-Green – NCC, Bear
- Our Future Childcare Center – NCC, Wilmington
- Denmark School – NCC, Wilmington
- Nurses’nKids – Sussex, Milford
- 100th Star Level 5 Awarded to Christina Early Education Center. Governor Markell Speaks…
- Curriculum and Assessment Pilot Programs – A Big Thank You From Delaware Stars!
- Bonnie Haigh – Western YMCA Meadowood School – NCC, Newark
- Bonnie Aube – Little Troopers Family Child Care – NCC, Middletown
- Marlette Lofland – Marlette’s Colorful World Daycare – Sussex, Bridgeville
- Shannon Murray – Sunshine Square Family Child Care Program – Kent, Smyrna
- Brandywine Valley Christian Preschool – NCC, Wilmington
- Great New Beginnings Early Childhood Center – NCC, Bear
- Kim Pridemore, Director of the Child Development Center, Del Tech’s Dover Campus – Kent, Dover
- Lillie Dixon – Dixon’s Day Care Home – Kent, Dover